Monday 7 October 2013

Psalm II (modern)

Psalm II
1.   Why fumeth in fight : the Gentiles spite,
in fury raging stout?
Why taketh in hand : the people fond,
Vain things to bring about?

2.   The kings arise : the lords devise,
in counsels met thereto :
Against the Lord : with false accord,
against his Christ they go.

3.   Let us they say : break down their ray,
of all their bonds and cords :
We will renounce : that [which] they pronounce,
their laws [?] as stately lords.

4.   But God of might : in heaven so bright,
Shall laugh them all to scorn :
The Lord on high : shall them defy,
they shall be once forlorn.

5.   Then shall his ire : speak all in fire,
to them again therefore :
He shall with threat : their malice beat,
in his displeasure sore.

6.   Yet am I set : a king so great,
on Sion hill full fast :
Though me they kill : yet will that hill,
my law and word outcast.

7.   God’s words decreed : I (Christ) will spread
For God thus saved to me :
My son I say : thou art, this day,
I have begotten thee.

8.   Ask thou of me : I will give thee,
to rule all Gentile lands :
Thou shalt possess : in sureness,
the world how wide it stands.

9.   With iron rod : as mighty God
all rebels shall thou bruise :
And break them all : in pieces small,
as shards the potters use.

10. Be wise therefore : ye kings the more,
Receive ye wisdom’s lore :
Ye judges strong : of right and wrong,
advice you now before.

11. The Lord in fear : your service bear,
with dread to him rejoice :
Let rages me : resist not ye,
him serve with joyful voice.

12. The son kiss ye : lest wroth he be,
lose not the way of rest :
For when his ire : is set on fire,
who trust in him be blessed.

¶ The Collect.
Break asunder O Lord the bonds of our sins, that we may be faithfully yoked to the precepts of thy law, serve thee in fear and reverence, the laud of thy holy name. Through Christ,&c.

No comments:

Post a Comment